Riley Keough completes death doula training 8 months after brother Benjamin's passing

Less than a year after Benjamin Keough's passing, his sister Riley Keough has finished training to become a death doula.
Ben, the son of Lisa Marie Presley and Danny Keough and the grandson of Elvis Presley, died on July 12 at the age of 27.The Los Angeles County Dept. of Medical Examiner-Coroner's office later ruled his death a suicide. In October, Elvis' Graceland announced that Ben had been laid to rest in the Meditation Garden at the Memphis estate alongside his family, including his grandfather, great-grandmother, Gladys Presley, great-grandfather, Vernon Presley and great-great-grandmother, Minnie Mae Presley.

As Ben's family continues to mourn his tragic death, Riley shared a personal update with her Instagram followers. "Today I finished my Death Doula training, on The Art of Death Midwifery training course by @sacred_crossings so I guess I'm an almost certified death doula now hehe," she wrote on March 21. "And I just felt like writing such a deep thank you to this community who are teaching and training people in conscious dying and death work."

"We are taught that its a morbid subject to talk about. Or were so afraid of it that we're unable to talk about it... then of course it happens to us, and we are very ill prepared," she continued. "I think it's so important to be educated on conscious dying and death the way we educate ourselves on birth and conscious birthing. We prepare ourselves so rigorously for the entrance and have no preparation for our exit. So I'm so grateful for this community and to be able to contribute what I can."

Since his death, Riley has continued to pay tribute to her brother, even getting a tattoo in his honor. In July, one week after Ben's death, Riley shared a heartfelt message on social media.

"Mornings are the hardest," she began. "I forget you're gone. I can't cry because of the fear that I will never stop. A pain that's new to me."

"You. There are no words for you. Angel is the closest I could think of. Pure light. Baby brother. Best friend. Wild man. Intellectual. Witness to my life. Twin soul. Protector. Too sensitive for this harsh world," Riley continued. "I hope you give me strength to endure the giant hole you've left in my heart."

She concluded her post by telling her brother, "I hope we meet again."

WHERE TO GET HELP

If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.

1737: Free call or text 1737 any time to speak to a trained counsellor, for any reason.

Lifeline: 0800 543 354

Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 / 0508 TAUTOKO (24/7). This is a service for people who may be thinking about suicide, or those who are concerned about family or friends.

OUTline: 0800 OUTLINE (0800 688 5463) every evening, 6pm to 9pm.

Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155

Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757 (24/7)

Samaritans: 0800 726 666 (24/7)

Youthline: 0800 376 633 (24/7) or free text 234 (8am-12am), or email [email protected]

E! News

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whats App
  • Reddit
  • Email
most popular
  • Sounds murder witness Guy Wallace dies in suspected suicide
  • Daylight Saving Time: how life would look if we stopped changing the clocks twice a year
  • Covid-19: Auckland MIQ worker tests positive for virus
  • D-day for the Government's plan to fix housing, with few easy options
  • Quiz: Morning trivia challenge: March 23, 2021
  • Dad's attempt to withdraw $8k from KiwiSaver for braces rejected
  • Two earthquakes shake North Island
  • Why 'would ya' allow gendered violence to exist in sport?
  • Single mum evicted day before law change moves into new house
  • Roid rage and moon face: Toni Street's steroid side effects while on high dose for autoimmune flare up
NeighbourlyTravel BookingsPlay StuffStuff CouponsDeath NoticesStuff EventsAdvertisingCareersPrivacy PolicyCookies PolicyTerms & ConditionsEditorial CodeContact Us
Breaking news?Send your photos, videos and tip-offs to
[email protected], or call us on 0800 697 8833

2021 Stuff Limited

Source

Our Partner