More than a dozen Rohingya refugees killed in camp blaze

Rescuers have recovered at least 15 charred bodies from a Rohingya refugee camp in southern Bangladesh after a devastating fire that destroyed thousands of shelters.
At least 400 people were still missing and about 560 were injured by the fire, according to Louise Donovan, a spokesperson for the United Nations refugee agency.

Shafiqur Rahman/AP
Rohingya refugees look at the remains of Monday's fire at the Rohingya refugee camp in Balukhali, southern Bangladesh.

The UNHCR said about 45,000 people were displaced by the fire, which broke out Monday afternoon and burned well into the night.

In the aftermath, refugees picked through the burned debris looking for their belongings. Others wept.

Yesterday before the fire started, my kids went to study at the Islamic school. I did not see them after they came back. I found two of my older kids, but I still cant find my youngest son, said Shappuni, a Rohingya refugee who uses only one name.

READ MORE:
* 150 million people estimated to be impacted by climate disasters by 2030
* World Refugee Day: Auckland aid worker living in world's largest refugee camp shares how NZers can help
* Myanmar repatriates first Rohingya family despite UN warnings
* Rohingya see no end in sight, six months after brutal attacks began

At least three of the dead were children and the search for victims was still ongoing, said Nizam Uddin Ahmed, the top government official in Ukhiya, a sub-district of Coxs Bazar district where the camp is located.

Bangladesh has sheltered more than a million Rohingya Muslims in crowded refugee camps, the vast majority having fled neighbouring Myanmar in 2017 amid a major crackdown by that country's military. The UN says the crackdown had a genocidal intent, a charge Myanmar rejects.

Bangladesh is eager to begin sending the refugees back to Buddhist-majority Myanmar. Several attempts at repatriation under a joint agreement failed because the Rohingya refused to go, fearing more violence in a country that denies them basic rights including citizenship.

In a situation report released on Tuesday, the UN's World Food Programme said up to 87,855 people were affected by Monday's fire, with many taking refuge in nearby camps, at friends' shelters, learning centres for children or temporary transit sites.

Shafiqur Rahman/AP
Rescuers have recovered at least 15 charred bodies from a Rohingya refugee camp in southern Bangladesh after a devastating fire that destroyed thousands of shelters.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said more than 1000 staff and volunteers worked through the night with firefighters, camp residents and other agencies to rescue people and douse the fire.

It said an estimated 123,000 refugees in the camps were affected by the fire. The differing figures between could not immediately be reconciled.

We are providing relief through food and water, and erecting emergency shelters for people who have lost their homes. These devastating fires will require even greater efforts by all agencies in the coming weeks, particularly as the cyclone season approaches," said M A Halim, head of operations in Coxs Bazar for the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society.

AP

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whats App
  • Reddit
  • Email
most popular
  • Recap: Black Caps v Bangladesh second ODI
  • Anger over Government moves against property investors
  • Housing policy: What the changes mean for homeowners, investors, first-home buyers, renters and bach owners
  • The end of BBQs or a load of hot air? The proposed ban on natural gas connections
  • Sorry Jacinda Ardern, your housing policy isn't likely to tilt the market for people like us
  • Housing changes: Don't hold out for price crash, economists say
  • Prominent businessman found guilty of sexual assault and witness bribes
  • Wellington courier driver admits to keeping nearly 90 parcels for himself
  • America's Cup: Robot sailor was Team NZ's secret weapon
  • Quiz: Afternoon trivia challenge: March 23, 2021
NeighbourlyTravel BookingsPlay StuffStuff CouponsDeath NoticesStuff EventsAdvertisingCareersPrivacy PolicyCookies PolicyTerms & ConditionsEditorial CodeContact Us
Breaking news?Send your photos, videos and tip-offs to
[email protected], or call us on 0800 697 8833

2021 Stuff Limited

Source

Our Partner