Jimmy Spithill concedes it was like taking a knife to a gunfight against Team New Zealand

Jimmy Spithill said it was like taking a knife to a gunfight in the Americas Cup Match against Team New Zealand - but hes not giving up on winning the Auld Mug again.
The co-helmsman who has so often been the nemesis of Team New Zealand, was gracious in defeat after Luna Rossa lost race 10 on Wednesday, going down 7-3 in the best of 13 series.

The Italians had hoped they could be equal with the speed of Te Rehutai in the Match, but in Wednesdays race it was clear they werent as fast, with Team New Zealand winning by 46 seconds.

It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight, Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.

READ MORE:
* America's Cup: PM hails 'brilliance' of victorious Team NZ, govt commits more funding
* 'Absolutely unreal': Team NZ helmsman Peter Burling blown away by America's Cup victory
* America's Cup: Arise Sir Grant - Dynamic Dalton deserves his dues in Team NZ triumph

They did an incredible job, developed an incredible tool and package there and all you can do is tip your hat and really say well done to them, a champion team and thoroughly deserved champions.

David White/Stuff
Luna Rossa family members embrace after the 7-3 loss to Team New Zealand

But Spithill, who masterminded Oracles incredible 9-8 victory over Team New Zealand in 2013, said this is not the end of the road for him.

I love the fight, I love competing, he said.

Thats my fourth Cup final in a row and two wins and two losses, so I cant leave it there, Ive got to tip it the right way. But I think the boat has exceeded expectations for everyone.

NATALIE CROCKETT/STUFF
Fans show their appreciation for Team New Zealand.

Course C was definitely the highlight, I wish we could have raced more on Course C, thats the only regret, but Im definitely going to thank everyone involved.

Meanwhile, Luna Rossas other co-helmsman Francesco Bruni believes this journey isnt over for the Italian team.

Fiona Goodall/Getty Images
Luna Rossa reflect on a campaign that came up just short.

Having so convincingly won the Prada Cup final against Team UK 7-1, hopes were high for the challenger of record in how theyd match up against Team New Zealand.

However, after being up 3-2 early in the series, the Kiwis won five races in a row to retain the Auld Mug.

Funded by the Prada billionaire Patrizio Bertelli, money isnt an issue for the Italian outfit and Bruni hinted theyll have another crack at the Americas Cup when its next up for grabs.

Its not finished, Bruni said.

Im sure Mr Bertelli and Luna Rossa will try again and we have a lot of experience now.

Im just very happy with how this team has been run and very happy with everything.

Although this Americas Cup Match didnt go to plan, Bruni was gracious in defeat.

Its been a fantastic experience, he said.

Id firstly like to congratulate Team New Zealand, theyve done a fantastic job.

But also I need to congratulate with Luna Rossa, theyre a fantastic team, we proved to the world that we could do it and its been hard luck in the last couple of days, but I think weve done a great job as a team.

Source

Our Partner