Covid-19: Auckland MIQ worker tests positive for virus

A worker at an Auckland isolation facility has tested positive for Covid-19.
The new case, in a worker at the Grand Millennium Hotel, was announced by the Ministry of Health in a statement on Monday evening.

The information available indicates the worker is asymptomatic, the statement said.

Further investigation is being undertaken this evening.


READ MORE:
* Poor ventilation and double-bunking led to health workers contracting Covid-19
* Covid-19: Christchurch MIQ worker fears community outbreak is inevitable, says protocols are lacking
* Covid-19: One new case in managed isolation facility

The managed isolation worker and their immediate household members are isolating at home in Auckland this evening.

Additional tests and whole-genome sequencing are currently being arranged.

Do you know more? Email [email protected]

The Ministry did not release any locations of interest in its statement, nor has its list of contact tracing locations been updated.

Dan Cook/RNZ
A managed isolation worker at the Grand Millenium Hotel in Auckland has tested positive for Covid-19.

In response to a flurry of questions about the case's vaccination status, a staffer for the Government's Covid-19 Facebook page said it was not yet known if they had received a dose.

However, the staffer did say that while many MIQ (managed isolation and quarantine) workers had received their first dose, many were still yet to receive their second dose, as it had to be given at least three weeks after the first.

The government staffer reiterated that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had shown to be about 95 per cent effective against symptomatic Covid-19, a week after receiving the second of the two doses.

Another answer on the same page said the worker would likely be counted as an imported case because it was most likely caught through their work in MIQ.

The staffer also said: Contact tracers are working with the case to determine whether there are any locations of interest. We will have more information tomorrow.


Some members of the public questioned the decision to allow the worker and their household to self-isolate at home, as opposed to transferring them to a quarantine facility.

A staffer on the Governments Covid-19 Facebook page said the decision was made by the local medical officer of health based on the households specific personal circumstances and needs.

They may yet be transferred to a quarantine facility. We will share any further updates when we receive them, they said.

Earlier on Monday evening, Stuff reported returnees at a nearby Auckland isolation hotel, the Grand Mercure, who shared a bus to an exercise area with a positive Covid-19 case have had their stays extended.

Source
 

Our Partner

Top