Controversial SAS Australia host Ant Middleton heads to Auckland for speaking tour

Controversial SAS Australia host Ant Middleton is heading to New Zealand for a speaking tour.
Middleton, who was recently dropped as the host of the UK TV show SAS: Who Dares due to personal conduct, will visit Auckland's Bruce Mason Centre on July 15 as part of his Mind over Muscle speaking tour.

Middleton had been the chief instructor on the series since it began in 2015.

In June 2020, UK TV bosses vowed theyd never work with Middleton again after he called Black Lives Matter protestors in the UK scum amid riots that happened in London after the death of George Floyd.

READ MORE:
* 'Racist' sign removed from driveway in rural Marlborough
* Prince William surprises patrons at a London KFC
* Sisters take up the challenge for SAS: Who Dares Wins
* Firms supporting Black Lives Matter should have their houses in order

A spokeswoman for Immigration NZ said it had not received any visa request related to the Mind Over Muscle tour.

The tour appeared to rely on a trans-Tasman travel bubble being in place by July. He had also announced shows in Australia just days before the Auckland show.

Middleton later apologised for his comments about the protests.

Id just like to clarify a tweet Id put out at the weekend and deleted straight away once Id re-read it and realised that it could cause offence.

I put out a tweet or retweeted a video of the violence, the terror and chaos that was happening on the streets of London. Within that tweet I mentioned the BLM and EDL and the word 'scum'.

"At no point was I calling the BLM scum and comparing the two organisations. I want to make that really, really clear.

The word scum was used to describe the people in the video that were violent, that were causing terror on the streets of London and setting a bad example for our future generations.

Middletons comments came just a few months after he was criticised for downplaying the seriousness of the coronavirus in an Instagram video posted in March 2020. He said that he was going about his life as normal despite the virus and others should do the same.

Am I still out travelling the world? Yes. Am I still shaking hands? Yes. Am I still cuddling fans at the airport? Yes. Am I washing my hands and keeping my hygiene to a high standard as always? Yes, he said.

Has my life changed? No. Am I going to let some disease, Covid-19, dictate my life? Absolutely not. Get out there, dont change, f... Covid-19!

Channel 4, the UK broadcaster of SAS: Who Dares, said it and Middleton's "values" did not match.

"Following a number of discussions Channel 4 and Minnow Films have had with him in relation to his personal conduct, it has become clear that our views and values are not aligned and we will not be working with him again," the company said.

Middleton joined the British Army aged 16, before serving in the Royal Marines from 2005 until 2012.

The Mind over Muscle speaking tour has been on the road around the UK since 2017, where he talks about his time in the military, climbing Mount Everest, and working in TV.

Tickets for the show go on sale Friday 26 March, 11 am at www.tegdainty.com.

Source

Our Partner