Civil Defence apologises over fault that set off tsunami sirens

Civil Defence in Northland has apologised after a fault in its network set off tsunami sirens in the Whngarei and Kaipara districts.
The civil defence authority and Northland's main electricity provider Northpower apologised for Monday night's false alarm.

Northpower referred to a technical fault and, in a statement, said the provider was "very sorry for scaring everyone".

READ MORE:
* 'Forgotten' Coromandel tsunami warning system unplugged as cellphones win out
* 32,000 visitors cause Hawke's Bay Civil Defence situs to crash after Friday's earthquakes
* Tsunami siren power issues to be investigated, Far North mayor says


It follows last Friday's evacuation order for many coastal regions after a magnitude 8.1 earthquake near the Kermadec Islands.

Civil Defence said the authority "wholeheartedly apologise for this and the effect it had on people - we're very much aware of the responsibility to our communities that comes with the alerting platforms we manage, and this is even more true in the wake of the events of Friday 5 March."

Northpower, which installs and maintains the tsunami siren network in the region, said the tsunami sirens were unexpectedly activated due to a technical issue on its control systems.

"We are very sorry for scaring everyone with this false alarm. After last week's events we know this will have caused some concern. We are fully investigating the cause so this kind of false alarm does not occur again."

Northland Civil Defence leaders activated region-wide tsunami evacuation alerts following the string of large earthquakes on March 5. Tens of thousands of people shifted to higher ground, including 15,000 Whangrei central city evacuees.


RNZ

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whats App
  • Reddit
  • Email
most popular
  • Family to be deported after wrongly claiming food vouchers during Covid-19 lockdown
  • Noisy flatbread factory keeping neighbours up at night, with some packing up and leaving
  • Quiz: Morning trivia challenge: March 16, 2021
  • Bachelor NZ: 'Just utter cruelty all round'
  • Christchurch mall owner developing large shopping complex in Rolleston
  • Kiwi teenager first minor to be deported to New Zealand from Australia
  • America's Cup: Victory within Team New Zealand's grasp, but focus stays on job at hand
  • Christchurch terror attack widow leaving New Zealand to save daughter
  • America's Cup: Salty nautical term a slap in the face for prime time TV viewers
  • Death crash driver remains undue risk, Parole Board rules
NeighbourlyTravel BookingsPlay StuffStuff CouponsDeath NoticesStuff EventsAdvertisingCareersPrivacy PolicyCookies PolicyTerms & ConditionsEditorial CodeContact Us
Breaking news?Send your photos, videos and tip-offs to
[email protected], or call us on 0800 697 8833

2021 Stuff Limited

Source
 

Our Partner

Top