Cameron Devlin humbled by loss after netting wonder goal for Wellington Phoenix

From elation to deflation.
Wellington Phoenix midfielder Cameron Devlin had never experienced the rollercoaster of emotions he went through during last Mondays highly-dramatic 4-3 defeat to Western Sydney Wanderers.

Thrust into the starting lineup just moments before kickoff, Devlin was on cloud nine after scoring an absolute worldly to give the Phoenix a 2-1 lead heading into the halftime break.

Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Cameron Devlin, left, celebrates after scoring a spectacular long-range strike against Western Sydney.

Reno [Piscopo] had a shot, which I thought was going in to be honest, and then it obviously got blocked and came straight out to me, he said.

READ MORE:
* Wellington Phoenix defender Tim Payne vows to make better decisions as shake-up looms
* Cruel offside calls sees Wellington Phoenix lose seven-goal thriller
* Away daze: It's a year since Wellington Phoenix played at home

I looked to my right and [Alex] Rufer was out at right-back and he wasnt there so I kind of thought I've got nothing on here, Im just going to have a pop.

The Olyroos hopeful knew from the moment the ball left his boot that it was going top bins.

They didnt press me which I thought was perfect for me so as it sat up I got an extra bounce and hit it so sweet.

Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Cameron Devlin cut a dejected figure on fulltime after a late equaliser was disallowed for offside.

As soon as it came off the boot I knew it was on target and I thought this could be good here. It hit the net and it's just the best feeling in the world.

Coming through the ranks as a youth pemain I was a bit more of an attacking pemain but goals arent really my strong point and Ill be the first one to admit that.

I scored a few growing up but nothing like that. You ask any striker, scoring a goal nothing beats that feeling but scoring a goal like that its that extra bit special.

Its just such a shame that we couldn't get away with the result so it doesn't mean much now.

Devlin said he had never celebrated as much as he did when he thought substitute Tomer Hemed scored in the 95th minute to salvage a draw following a stirring Wanderers fight-back.

However, replays showed Hemeds shoulder had strayed offside following VAR intervention and the goal was disallowed.

I don't think Ive celebrated a goal like that in my life. I saw Rufer drop to his knees in front of the bench and I just sprinted over to him and knee slid in, Devlin said.

Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Cameron Devlin is hoping to win back his starting spot in central midfield.

We were going crazy hugging each other. Then the rollercoaster continued when they ruled it out. It was straight back down to Earth.

It went from the highest point on a personal level that youll get going into halftime 2-1 up. The start of the game I thought the boys were playing such good football and Ive scored a worldie and were up 2-1, and the second half comes and it was just an absolute rollercoaster of emotions.

Devlin was a last-minute addition to the starting XI after Louis Fenton suffered a hip flexor injury during the warm-up.

The former Sydney FC product partnered Clayton Lewis in central midfield while Rufer played out of position to cover right-back.

Devlin said he hoped his wonder strike would help push his case for reselection but coach Ufuk Talay indicated the 22-year-old would be back on the bench for the Phoenixs next game against Brisbane Roar in Newcastle on Sunday.

It goes without saying I want to start and Im frustrated because I want to start games but hopefully I can earn that spot back and thats something that will come with patience and hard work, and well just wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Source

Our Partner